Sunday, November 18, 2012

First Contact

Now that I have decided to join the Air Force where do I start? Well its 2012 so I would try the internet first. There are endless websites dedicated to providing information about the Air Force. I spent days researching every possible aspect of joining the Air Force, from MEPS to BMT, tech school, permanent duty assignments, jobs, benefits everything I could think of. After reading the basic requirements to join I realized I weighed to much to join. I am 5' 11" and the maximum weight to join is 197 lbs, at that time I was pushing 230 lbs. My first step to joining was to start losing weight to prove I was serious. After I lost around 10 lbs I called my local recruiter I told him over the phone that I knew I weighed to much but I wanted to get the ball rolling, so he asked if I was able to meet with him later that day and I did. When I arrived at his office he was busy with someone else so he had me go into a small room with a computer in it to take a practice ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) that took about 30 minutes and when I was done he wrote down my score and told me that I would have no problem taking the actual ASVAB. He then took my height and weight on a scale in that same small room with the computer. We then went back to his office and talked about joining the Air Force, he wrote down my contact information and told me to call him back when I had lost the weight. 197 lbs is the maximum for my height but he wanted me to be 185-190.

No comments:

Post a Comment